Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time Versus Distance

"One part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal we set for ourselves." Karen Casey, from Achievement of a Life Goal

With the holiday season approaching, some things at work, and Madison's volleyball kicking into gear, things are not slowing down. But I am determined to get the workouts in however I need to get them in. Last Wednesday, Madison told me at the last minute that she wanted to go to Bible study. I had already planned to get in my 60 minute run before dark. We were having a hard time figuring out how to get her there and pick her up and still get Dalton where he needed to go. Then I thought, "Why don't I just get dressed, drive her there, and run from that house for an hour? I'll be done when she is." So that's what I did despite the 45 degree temps. And it worked out perfect. She called me on my phone to see where I was just as I was rounding the corner to the house.

I've also had to rearrange the schedule a little bit due to an all day volleyball tournament on Saturday. For the team's first time to play together in a real game environment, they did well (at least I thought). And Madison's serving amazed me. On the last game they were playing, they were down 24 to 17 (or something like that). If the other team scored a point, the game was over and our team was knocked out. It was our turn to serve. And it was Madison serving. She did great under pressure and brought the team back to 25-24. And then the other team won anyway. But I was so proud of her. It was worth it to rearrange my workout schedule.

Then after working out on Sunday with a swim of 2,500 yards (my longest to date) and a run, I got to looking at my Ironman program again. The one I plan to follow does the run and bike workouts by time but gives swim workouts, so it's distance there. I've been following a half-iron plan right now that also bases workouts on time. And I'm actually finding that I kind of like that. For instance, the other night when I had the 60 minute run - normally I probably would have gone 5-6 miles. But since I ran for an hour, I got in 6.2. So I may actually get more miles in this way, at least with running. I know later on I will do bike rides by miles, doing several century rides over the summer, and I know I will want to get in several 18-20 miles run toward the end of training. Well see how it goes.

I also noticed that my Ironman plan only has swim workouts of up to 3,500 meters. I don't think I like that since I'm already fairly comfortable with 2,500. I think I want to go farther, and in swimming you can. I may look at some other plans and take the swimming workouts from those. It will definitely be an interesting year, but one part at a time and one day at a time, I'll get there.

3 comments:

Missy said...

For sure go over 3500 for swimming in IM training. I know that I was regularly in the 4000-4500 (up to 5500) once a week and 3500-4000 twice a week. Of course build to get there but that was 'regular' course for me!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow. You are just amazing to get in your workouts and juggle the family. Merry Christmas to your family!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a Merry Christmqas and a Joyous Training New Year :)
lMnop