Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Disappointment Turns Into A Pretty Good Weekend

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done whether you like it or not." Thomas Huxley

Well, as of Friday night about 10:00, I still didn't know if the ride would be cancelled or not, so I set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. and went to bed. When the alarm went off I headed in to the computer to see what was going on. At that point the storm had still not passed and the ride was still on but the website said to stay posted for an update at 5:30.

I made my breakfast and sat in front of the computer for the next half hour waiting. The 5:30 posting said they still weren't sure - stay tuned for the next update at 6:30. What to do? If I waited until 6:30 and the ride WAS on, I wouldn't make it on time. So, I got dressed, loaded the car and stared that way, checking for updates at stop signs and stoplights. And around 6:20 the update came that the ride was being cancelled.

I headed back home, took the bike off the car so I could close the garage door, and climbed back in bed. And I stayed in bed until almost 10:00. Wow! Haven't done that in a long time.

Once I got up I knew what I had to do. It was a cold, rainy day and it would have been nice to cuddle up on the couch and watch basketball all day, but I headed to the trainer where I would be for the next two hours. I got off, ate lunch and then headed to the pool. I wasn't sure what my workout would be, but when I got there I decided to just swim straight through. 3,000 yards later I was done.

I thought I was done for the day but had told my daughter I would help clean out her closet. I spent a couple of hours helping her clean. Can I log that in my training log????

Since it had been a pretty full day, we decided Saturday night to sleep in Sunday morning and go to late service. That was nice. But as soon as we got home from church I knew I needed to get in a long run. The sun was out today, but the wind was still gusting at 20+ mph. I wimped out and hit the treadmill. But thanks to March Madness, my mind wasn't on running. Ninety minutes later it was time to stop.

So despite the disappointment of not getting in a nice, long, outdoor ride, I did get a lot of training in this weekend.

No comments: