Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cap 10K

After a busy day yesterday doing the Rosedale Ride, driving 1.5 hours to my son’s soccer game, watching the game, driving 1.5 hours back, and going to the rodeo to see Kevin Fowler, I got up early to run the Cap 10K.

Luckily (or unluckily) the race didn’t start until 9am. The race use to be held the same weekend as daylight savings; hence the late start. However, since daylight savings has changed, that is no longer an issue. But after the rodeo last night, a later start was welcome.

It was a little cool this morning as well, but not as cool as yesterday morning. I dressed in shorts and a tank. When we got downtown, I was a little chilly walking to the start line, but I knew that would soon change. I got in line for the port-a-potties first thing as I always do. I still had almost an hour until the start, so I just found a spot to sit and watched the lines for the port-a-potties grow. When they got to a certain length and there was about 30 minutes until start, I got in line again. After that, I headed to my coral to await the start of the race.

Standing in the coral, I knew it would be a tough race. The sun had poked through the clouds and I was no longer even a little bit chilled. I wasn’t expecting a PR today so I just told myself to do my best and have fun.

The gun went off and 3 minutes later I crossed the start line. I was off and running. The first 3 miles of this course are pretty hilly. The first of the race is a slight incline up toward the capital of our city. Once you round that, you have some rolling hills.

Mile 1: 9:09

I thought I might be going a little too fast, but it didn’t feel like a struggle so I just kept going.

Mile 2: 9:06

Hmmmm. I might pay for this later, but oh well.

Mile 3: 9:22

Ok, that hill got me. I flew on the big downhill and settled in for the last 3 miles.

Mile 4: 9:10

Good, I feel back on pace. I was really hot at this point though. All I saw at the aid stations was water (someone after the race said they had Gatorade at one of the stations, but I must have missed it). I could have used some Gatorade at this point. I probably should have brought my own. Instead, I sucked down water at each aid station and dumped a cup on my head as well.

Mile 5: 9:23

The heat is getting to me. Just a little over a mile to go and I’m done. Keep pushing.

Mile 6: 9:24

I can see the finish line, but I don’t really pick up my pace. It’s not a PR so there is no point in pushing it.

The last .2: 1:54.

I came in at 57:28 for a pace of 9:16. It was under an hour, so I’m ok with that. I grabbed some more water, found the bananas and then found some shade for a little bit.

Overall, it was a solid weekend of races and I feel ok going into next weekend’s race.

No comments: