Friday, November 24, 2017

Pfeathered Pfun Run 2017

Several years ago, my same race director friend started a turkey trot in Pflugerville so that folks wouldn't have to drive downtown and spend half their day doing a turkey trot.  This way, those of us who live in Pflugerville can get up, have a fun race, and be done in time to get home and get those Thanksgiving feasts underway.  I've done it every year since he started it, but this year decided I needed to do the 10K for this one.  I needed to get some "longer" runs in before the marathon on 12/10.

Thanksgiving morning turned out to be pretty cold for us.  When I got to the lake, my weather app showed 38 degrees.  I got my packet from him and headed back to the warm car to wait until race start.  About 15 minutes before the start, I headed over to get ready.

The 10k folks took off first.  I had no goal on this one other than get the miles in.  As we headed out from the start line, lots of people got ahead of me.  I just kept reminding myself that I just needed the miles.  I've been struggling to run straight through without walk breaks lately, so I just wanted to run as much as I could.

As I came around the first loop (each loop is 3 miles) I could feel my right hamstring giving me issues and could feel it affecting my gait, but kept going.  I had warmed up by now and shed a layer.  I was kind of wishing I had just done the 5k, but knew this would be good for me.

Somehow, I managed to make it back around to the finish and was glad to be done.  The course wasn't a true 10k, so my results show a time of 57:55, which I was happy with.




My garmin shows the mile splits as follows:

Mile 1:  9:12
Mile 2:  9:26
Mile 3:  9:38
Mile 4:  9:59
Mile 5:  10:36
Mile 6:  9:10 (garmin shows it as 0.89 miles)

No comments: