Friday, February 27, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Gee, I didn't realize it had been so long since I last updated. I kept having things in my head to write about, but no time. So, let's see if I can get things caught up.

The weather here lately has been great during the week - highs in the 70s or 80s, but then it turns cold again during the weekend. But, I've taken advantage of the weather.

The Wednesday after the Austin Half, I rode outside for an hour. My neighborhood has some decent hills and lots of stops, so I only managed 14.32 miles, but right now it's all about getting time on the bike. Toward the end of the ride something seemed off, but nothing that I could see.

Thursday I went outside for a 3.5 mile run. The weather was perfect.

Friday was another bike ride. Only when I went out to get on my bike and checked my tires, my rear tire was FLAT! Ugghhh. I don't like flats to begin with, but the rear tire is always harder to change in my opinion. But I was determined to enjoy the nice weather so I began changing the tire. It took a while, but I did it. Because I had lost daylight due to changing the tire, I only managed to get in an 8 mile ride.

Saturday our TNT team met with the run, tri and hike teams for the honored hero mile. This is where we run, walk, or ride a silent mile in honor of all of those who have battled or are still battling leukemia or lymphoma. It can be a very emotional mile and it was this time for me. There are just too many people out there having to fight a battle that no one should have to fight.

After the honored hero mile, the cycle team went to a mostly empty parking lot to do a cornering clinic. The coach broke off the alumni from the beginners and told us to practice our cornering skills. What it turned into was a fast paced follow the leader through the parking lot - dodging cars, potholes and speed bumps. It was actually quite fun. Until the cold front blew through bringing with it cold wind and rain. Rain is not ok when you are doing a corning clinic. So that ended fairly quickly. The coach asked if anyone wanted to go out for a ride, but he didn't have too many takers. Being the cold natured person I am, I opted to head home and hit the treadmill for a 4 mile run. Then I showered and headed out to my son's soccer game.

Sunday after church I managed to get in a 15 mile bike ride. Monday was a TNT "cash bash" night, so no workout. Tuesday I was back to running (4 miles) and then Wednesday back on the bike for 11.77 miles.

Then yesterday I was excited. I had the time to get in an hour run and the weather was gorgeous! I headed out and the first few steps were sluggish. I felt "off" and my legs felt heavy. Not good. I made it 3 miles and didn't feel like I could go any more. I walked for a minute to see if that would help. Then I ran some more, walked some more, ran some more ... until I got to 4 miles. And then I walked home. I was disappointed because I was hoping to get in 6 miles. But, some days you have it and some days you don't. Thursday, I didn't have it.

Tonight we had to go shopping for a dress for my daughter. My husband's cousin's son (did you follow that?) is getting married next weekend and my daughter is in the house party. Because our church is so casual, the kids really don't have "dressy" clothes. So we went to buy a dress. Luckily we found one, because I don't know when else we were going to have time to shop. I'll have to post a picture after the wedding. It makes her look really grown up.

This weekend doesn't get any better. Saturday morning I have a 3 hour bike ride with the team. It will be nice to get out on some open roads and not have to be starting and stopping all the time. And it will be nice to be in a pace group because we are suppose to have winds up to 20 mph tomorrow. The ride out won't be any fun at all. The ride back might not be so bad. I just hope I'm in a group with lots of big guys who can block the wind for me :)

And, both of the kids are in soccer tournaments this weekend. Several of the boys on my son's team have older sisters and they all decided they were tired of being on the sidelines watching - they want to play! So, they are in a 3v3 tournament in one part of town while my son plays in a tournament in another part of town. Madison's games are from 9:00 to 1:00. Dalton plays at 9:00 and then doesn't play again until 6:30. I'm not happy about that, because.......

Saturday night we have tickets to the Austin Aztex vs. New England Revolution exhibition soccer game at 7:30. The Austin Aztex are the new professional soccer team here in town. They are playing 3 exhibition games against MLS teams. We can make two of them and the second one is against the Columbus Crew, which is the team we saw last summer when we went to Ohio for vacation. We ended up with season tickets, so it should be a fun summer of soccer. But, we'll have to go straight from my son's game tomorrow to the Aztex game.

Then Sunday morning my son has two more games - one at 8am and one at 12:30. I hate wasting time and not working out, so I asked if any of my teammates would want to meet me for a 2 hour ride between games and I had a couple of takers. The only problem is it's suppose to be in the 30s Sunday morning. I just hope there is no wind.

I joked today at work that I'd be glad when Monday got here so I could have a break! Does it ever slow down?????

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a busy girl! I can't wait to see a picture of your daughter all dressed up. It's so seldom now a days for anyone to dress up!

Thank you for your commitment to TNT. I'm donating to your account today.

M said...

Oh my it mudt have been the week for flat back tires! Tonight my husband put new tires and tubes on my bike...and tuned it up so now my chain won't come off when I switch to the big crank.

Good luck on your training! I miss riding Tahoe but I just can't swing it w/TNT.