Friday, October 5, 2007

Getting Ready For Race Day

This week was a hectic week, so it's a good thing it was a taper week. Tuesday night was open house at my son's school. I didn't want to workout before open house because I didn't want to go sweaty and I didn't want to have to take a shower and get ready all over again. By the time we got home and got everything done, I wasn't in a mood to do anything.

Wednesday evening I had a coaches/mentor meeting for Team in Training. I live way north and work way south. The meeting was south. I thought I was going to have to go home to pick my daughter up from school and then come all the way back to the meeting. It turned out that my husband was able to get her so that I could stay south. But, I hadn't planned on that and didn't have any workout clothes with me. By the time the meeting was over and I got home, it was almost 10:00. No workout again.

Thursday when I got home, I got on the treadmill for a quick 3 mile run on the treadmill. I needed to do something. Then my daughter and I went to watch my nieces cheer at their school's volleyball game while my husband and son were at soccer.

Today when I got home, I took my bike off the trainer and took it for a quick 15 minute ride outside. I wanted to make sure everything felt good. My knee has still been giving me issues every now and then and I think it's from the bike. I'm hoping I don't have problems with it Sunday. The weird thing is that it doesn't hurt at all when I run. After those brief 15 minutes, I was soaked with sweat. Of course it was 5:00, but I certainly hope it's at least a little bit cooler Sunday. The front that was suppose to get here and cool things off into the 80s won't be making it until Tuesday or Wednesday. It will probably be in the 70s to start and in the 90s by the time I'm done. The race director took the water temperature today. It was 85 degrees. That's hot! And that also means no wetsuits. For me, that means a slower swim time. Oh well.

Tonight I'll start getting things ready and lay them out so I don't forget anything. My son has soccer skill training and my daughter and I enjoy the girl time by watching Ghost Whisperer. So, we'll watch that and I'll relax.

In the morning I'm scheduled to be aid station for the TNT Nike team. We are then having a pot luck and will go over race preparations with the team. After that I'll head home to get my bike and head out to the race site to pick up my packet, check out the expo, and rack my bike. There is a mandatory meeting that participants have to go to, so I'll do that at 4:00. At 6:00 several people who post on are meeting at an Italian food restaurant for dinner, so we'll meet them there. That should be fun and it will allow me to meet people so I'll see familiar faces during the race. After dinner, it's home and to bed.

The transition area opens Sunday morning at 5:30 and I plan on being there when it opens. I like to get there and make sure everything is just how I want it. The race starts at 7:30 with the elite wave and goes from there. I'll be in the water before 8:00. I have no idea what time I'll be anywhere else Sunday. I'll get done when I get done. I'll let you know how it goes. Until then......

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Just thinking of you and wishing you luck tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about the big race! Take care! I hope the weather cooperates and isn't too hot. It's snowing here in Utah today, so I'll send cool thoughts your way. :0)