Monday, October 1, 2007

Allergies, Weather and Race Day

My husband was out of town Thursday - Saturday of last week, so I missed my long run with Team in Training. Instead, after running the kids around all day, I did 6 miles on the treadmill. It felt good. I could have kept going.

Sunday was just as hectic with church meetings and such, so while my husband went to the grocery store, I hopped on the trainer for 2 hours. I think my body just doesn't like the trainer. I can ride over 3 hours outside and be fine, but I get off the trainer and I'm hurting. The latest pain is under the ball of my left foot. It feels like a bruise. Sometimes when I'm on the trainer, I actually sit up (you know, "look mom, no hands") while I'm pedaling. When I do this, I think my feet slide forward a little bit in my shoes. And I think that's what caused my pain Sunday. I'm hoping to get the bike outside one last time on Wednesday, weather permitting.

Speaking of weather.....there are tons of allergens in the air right now. Lots of ragweed, fall elm and mold. I'm allergic to ragweed and mold, but the ragweed really gets me. And the news said this may be the worse ragweed season we've seen in the past 15 years. Just what I need right before race day. My nose runs all day and then stops up at night so I can't breathe, which wakes me up. Then I can't get back to sleep. And I'm constantly sneezing. Got the itchy eyes, too. And YES, I am taking Allegra and sometimes Benadryl at night.

I also watched the news tonight to see what the forecast may be for race day. We're still hovering in the low 90s here and that is a little above normal for this time of year. However, the news tonight said they expect a cold front to come through sometime Saturday night or Sunday. That would mean temps in the mid to high 80s. That would be wonderful. But, there is also a 30% chance of rain. That's not much, but I'd prefer if the rain held off until say 4:00 in the afternoon or so.

Since race day is Sunday, I'm taking it easy this week. I went on a field trip with my son's 4th grade class today. Boy was that interesting. I had to laugh though as we were walking and some of the kids were complaining. I'm thinking "we haven't even walked a mile yet". When I got home I got my bathing suit on and went to the gym. I swam 2,000 meters tonight and that's all I'm doing. I'm going to pop some popcorn and veg in front of the tv.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

OOOooo, race day is almost here! I'm so excited for you. I hope the weather cooperates. We had snow a few days ago. I know. Utah weather is almost as crazy as Texas weather (just on the colder end of the scale). I can't wait to hear the race report. Take it easy and store up lots of energy for Sunday. I'll be thinking of you.

Unknown said...

You are one training machine! I have problems with allergies too and can't wait for a dormant winter.
Good luck on "race day", you seem well prepared. Now you have me motivated to really move so I think I will start laying out my banner for Light the Night. Seriously I may join a gym to rid me of this guilt I feel.
You really are an inspiration.
Janice

M said...

Good luck on Sunday!
Rooting for you all the way here in CA!