Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A New Adventure for a New Year

As most of you know, for the past three years I have raised money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society while training for an endurance event (usually a marathon or triathlon) through their Team in Training program. Because I believe so strongly in their cause and have known many people, including my brother-in-law and a high school classmate, who have been affected by leukemia or lymphoma, I am once again joining the cause.

However, this year I will be training for the America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride on June 1st, where I will be riding 100 miles on my bike around Lake Tahoe! This has been called a "tough ride" as there are several steep climbs along the way with 2,600 vertical feet of elevation gain.

And while this may be hard, it is nothing compared to what people battling cancer go through. And that's why I'm dedicating this season to a 4-year-old girl from Georgia named Kristen. Kristen is currently undergoing treatment for acute lymphocytic leukemia. She will be in treatment until July 2009. And thanks to people like you who have donated money toward research in the past, Kristen has a great chance of being called a "survivor" when she is done with her treatment.

In order to help fund research, I have committed to raising over $3,300 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this year. If you would like to help me reach my goal, you can visit my fundraising web site at www.active.com/donate/tntctx/cyclebrianacycle. If you prefer to send a check, let me know and I will get you my address. Your donation is 100% tax deductible. And no amount is too small or too large. Even if you give up Starbucks for just one day, that helps. Or if you own a company and would like to be a corporate sponsor, let me know. Together, we can help bring an end to a horrible disease.

If you would like for me to add one of your "honored heroes" to my list, I will be glad to. Just leave me a message with their name. As always, I'll post training updates here in my blog. It should be interesting.

Thanks in advance for your financial support and your prayers as I go through the training.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Briana, I made a donation and I'd like it to be in memory of my cousin, Joshua Primeaux. He died of Leukemia 12 years ago.

Unknown said...

I think this will be one of the highlights of your TNT career! You will LOVE Tahoe. Doug did it twice and I was a spectator/babysitter/cheerleader. I have been there many times unrelated to TNT as my sister lived there.
I'm moving soon and will donate to your ride after I get settled.