Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fast Food Scavenger Hunt

Well folks, if you saw the comment under my last journal entry, you know that my group didn't win the fast food scavenger hunt this time. In fact, we came in dead last. Wahoo!!!

The way it works is that kids are assigned to ride in a car or the church van with an adult (or two in the van). Each "team" is given $10. The teams have to go to as many fast food places as they can, buy an item of food and eat it. Everyone in the car must consume something. The goal is to spend as much of that $10 as you can without going over, visit as many places as you can, and come back as quick as you can (without breaking any laws).

So, when you hear the word "go", you run for the car and head for the first place. In the beginning, most people go for the cheapest thing on the menu so that you can go to more places (the more places you go, the higher your score). For instance, we ordered a roll at Golden Chick. It's so funny to hear the workers ask "is that all?" with a quizical tone in their voice. By the time you get to the last place, the workers know because other groups have been there.

We were doing well and were at our 7th place. They were taking way too long, so I sent two of the girls in to get the rest of the money so we could go to the place next door. What we didn't realize is that the money was in the car and the girl buying the food had to borrow money from another patron. That put us over the $10 and we didn't take that money out before buying food from the next place, so we spent more than $10. You have to take your change and your receipt back with you and this IS a church group, so no cheating. I admitted defeat and we headed back.

There was a team that spent exactly $10 after bribing Subway to sell them a side of cheese for something like 14 cents. But the team that won was Cortney's team (cortneyaggie.blogspot.com). I think they only had 1 penny left, but they visited the most places, so they won! I'm either first or last - there is no in between for me.

Monday night I was able to get in 4 miles on the treadmill. Tonight I am missing yoga due to a board meeting I need to attend. Sigh. I really miss yoga when I can't go.

2 comments:

M said...

Wow, I don't think we have enough cheap items on the menus around here to get very far on $10! Sounds like fun though!

I am seriously going to start training after the plate fundraiser...we'll see how my neck holds out- you are my inspiration running daily!

Bolder said...

hey running girl, following up with you and everyone on your offer for help!

the blog is up here:

http://bloggersagainstcancer.blogspot.com/

we are working through the name, and a graphic design... have a look!