Monday, November 5, 2007

Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure 5K

Well, on Halloween night I never got that run in. We got a few more trick-or-treaters, but not too many. Thursday night I ran 3 miles on the treadmill and then Friday night I did 8 miles on the treadmill. Saturday morning I was the aid station for our TNT group so I didn't run. That worked out well, because Sunday I did the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.

The Race for the Cure is a race I do every year. I heard on the TV this year that it was the 10th anniversary of the race in our city. I was curious because I've done it for a long time so I went and looked at all my past shirts. It appears that I only missed two years and this year was my 8th year running.

Back in 1999, the first year I did the Race for the Cure, I wasn't really much of a runner. My husband and I were walking through the mall and saw some tables with registration forms. We had recently lost a friend and fellow church member to breast cancer and I decided to do the race in her memory. So I signed up. I went to that first race all by myself. I'd never done any other races and really didn't know what I was doing. But the next thing I knew I was running. I thought I was doing so well and then I was gasping for air and had to stop and walk. I don't think I even made it a mile running that first year. Each year, however, I have strived to increase the time running and decrease my time. I don't even remember now which year was the first year I finally ran the whole thing. And now I run for time. They changed the route just slightly this year and I'm using that as the excuse for a slower time. Last year I ran it in 26:01. This year was 27:25. Still a decent time for me, but one of these days I'm going to get below 25:00 for a 5k. It was a great day for a race.

After the race I headed out to my son's soccer tournament. He had played 2 games on Saturday and had 2 more on Sunday. They won one, lost one, and tied two. Not the best showing they've had, but they were in the toughest bracket and had no subs. I think they did well.

Tonight I did and easy 3 mile run on the treadmill. Then I cooked dinner, paid the bills, etc. etc. Now it's time to take it easy.

No comments: