Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesdays Are Brutal

This morning when I woke up it was raining. Surprise, surprise. I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to get my bike ride in this afternoon or not, but I loaded my bike in the car anyway. Thinking that I probably wouldn't get to ride, I didn't take a gatorade or power bar. This would turn out to be a bad decision.

The rain let up this morning and the day stayed overcast, so I figured I would be ok with just my water. I headed to the veloway and rode 6 loops for a total of 19.24 miles. And I was dying again. The humidity kills me. I knew I needed to get some food in me before track practice so I stopped and grabbed some food and some more drink.

I got to track practice early, but I was glad. I took my yoga mat out to the pad where we do our core work, laid it out and then laid down and rested until the rest of the group got there. We had a small group tonight. Probably because everyone figured it would rain.

Tonight's track practice was a one mile time trial. We did a mile for warm-up, did our drills, stretched, and then did our time trial. We were suppose to go as fast as we could for that mile. Then our coach will plug in the number and tell us what our pace should be for the various other runs and drills we do. Last year when we did the time trial we did a 2 mile time trial. My time was 16:10 (so 8:05 per mile). Tonight my time was 8:34. On a full stomach and in brutal humidity, I'll take that any day. I'm still hoping at some point to get at least one mile with a 7 in front. Maybe this winter when the temps are lower.

Anyway, I'm beat now.

And you'll never believe it, but the rain just started again.

No comments: