Monday, July 30, 2007

Detours Along the Way

I think I mentioned previously that my son's soccer team qualified for regionals in 3v3 play. Well, regionals were this past weekend in Dallas. We left Friday after work, checked into the hotel and put the kids to bed. I brought my workout clothes and thought about hitting the fitness center, but it was already 9:30. After being in the car for a long drive, I decided I'd just go to bed as well. I had also thought I'd get up early in the morning for a run before the tournament, but their first game was at 9:00 a.m. That meant we needed to be at the field by 8:15, which meant leaving the hotel by 7:45. Uggghhhh. The morning run got skipped as well.

We were at the soccer fields most of the day. They played four games. Let's just say, they didn't play like they normally do, so we won't be going to nationals with this tournament. His team has also qualified for regionals with another tournament, so we'll see how they do in that one on August 11th.

Since we were already in the Dallas area, we had promised the kids a trip to Six Flags. After the tournament was over, we found a hotel and let the kids hit the pool (after some hotel issues at the first hotel). One of my son's soccer teammates and his dad stayed as well so they could join us at Six Flags on Sunday.

Sunday morning we got to sleep in a little (although sleeping in for my kids is about 6:30 or 7:00 am). After breakfast and packing up, we were ready to hit the park. My husband, daughter and I love roller coasters, but the last time we were at Six Flags (a few years ago) my son was not willing to ride the rides. This time, he said he would try. First coaster up was a coaster called Flashback. You go through three loops forward and then do it all again backwards. He was either going to end up loving coasters, or after this one, he'd be done. We had no wait in line, got on and took off. When we got done, he was ready to go. Wahoo!! Our coaster family is complete.

We had bought a fast pass and used that for a few coasters, but the crowd really wasn't too bad. By 2:00 we had ridden most of the rides we wanted to ride - except for one of the rides the two boys weren't tall enough for. My husband watched the kids while Jim and I hit Mr. Freeze. Then we were headed to Batman and scanned the fast pass - Ride Shut Down. Hmmm. We started walking back to some other rides and saw that several were shut down as well. We looked in the sky and knew why. A storm was brewing. We headed for SpongeBob 4-D, an indoor ride. And when we came out, the sky had let loose. It was pouring. We headed for some shelter. After about 30 minutes and no relief in sight, we decided to call it a day.

Overall it was a successful weekend, but no working out for me. My husband and I both had the day off today, so we worked in the yard (I was drenched in sweat just like when I work out) and then we took the kids to the movies. My husband and son saw Transformers and my daughter and I saw Harry Potter. Then it was time for me to get back in the swing of things. I headed to the pool for a 2,000 meter swim and then came home and hit the treadmill for a 5 mile run.


Kim said...

Wow, Im proud of your dedication. I would have counted *watching* soccer as exercise, and definitely walking around an amusement park all day would have been considered a work out.

Im glad you enjoyed your trip and hope the next soccer tournament is more successful for your son.

Thanks for including Andrew as an honored teammate...we are so thankful for how well he is doing, and we remind people that the chemo he took every night for most of this 3.5 years of treatment, 6mp, was discovered by a Leukemia and Lymphoma Society researcher.


Grandma J said...

Yikes, sorry about the downpour at Six Flags. We did a coin toss and went to Schlitterbahn Waterpark. I still want to go to Six Flags in Dallas though.

Good luck at the soccer tournament in August. I hate it when the kids are "off" their game at crunch time.

Thank you for all the hard work you do with your training and fundraising. I am still and forever in awe!

Andrew's grandma

Rodrigo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.