Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Good Day For A Ride

After taking off Thursday, I decided to see what Friday would hold. I had taken off work so that I could attend field day at the kids' school. This was only the second time I've been at field day, so they were excited. I woke up Friday morning and didn't feel much better than I had Thursday night, but I was determined to go. So I did. And I got to stand on my feet all day in the lovely misting morning and humid afternoon. But the kids had a blast and I had fun watching them get completely soaked and covered in mud (what kid doesn't have a blast doing that). I got lots of good pictures, so it was well worth it.

When we got home from field day, I decided that I still didn't feel well enough to exercise, so I watched the shows I had recorded Thursday night and went to bed at 9:00 pm.

This morning we had to be up pretty early because my son had a 9:00 am soccer game. He has to be at the field an hour early, so we had to leave the house at 7:45. I wasn't as congested and I wasn't sneezing, so this was a good thing. The cough, however, was still with me. It was another overcast, humid day with light mist. It was all made better when his team won 4-2.

This afternoon, I went to a Team in Training information meeting to help in my role as mentor and to answer questions people may have before signing up. It turned out to be a good meeting with several signing up. There are already 24 participants signed up to raise money and participate in the Nike Women's Marathon. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post about this marathon is that when this marathon started, it started specifically as a fundraiser to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. So not only are there many TNT people raising money, but the entry fee from ALL participants helps the society.

My son had gone to play at a friend's house and when I called home after the meeting, I found out my daughter had done the same, so I went to lunch with a friend. I don't get to do that often, so I enjoyed it. My intention when I got home from lunch was to maybe get in a short run. That just goes to show why I should never have "intentions". No one was home when I got there and I was feeling pretty good, so I thought I'd give the bike a try and see how far I could go without my cough bothering me. I figured that would be better than running. Well, it turns out it was a great choice. When I hit six miles, I checked to see how long it had taken and I had done if fairly quick, so I thought I'd just keep going. And I did. Until I hit 20 miles. That's right. Twenty miles!!! And I felt so good when I got home from the bike ride that I changed clothes and went back out and ran 3.1 miles.

The funny thing is that the whole time I was exercising, I did not cough or sneeze once. As soon as I stopped, the cough returned. It is getting better, so hopefully it will be gone soon.

It is suppose to rain tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. I have been asked to meet some ladies at our local lake to do an open water swim with them. The ladies all go to my church and are doing the Danskin triathlon for the first time. They've never swam as a group in a lake before and want to practice before the event. Hopefully we'll be able to get our swim in. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: