Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I Think I've Got It Figured Out

Other than getting in a long bike ride over the Memorial Day weekend (which never worked out thanks to the rain), my other goal was to figure out how to mesh my marathon training with my half ironman training. After thinking about the kids activities this summer and knowing that I won't give up my Tuesday night yoga, I think I've got it figured out. Maybe. We'll see how it goes.

The plan is to continue swimming on Monday. Then Monday night while my son is at soccer, I'll do my run for the day. Tuesday, I'll go to yoga and then run when I get home. Wednesdays are still not set in stone. My friend (who is also one of the assistant coaches for the marathon team) and I may offer a second "track" night for the marathon team for those who can't make track practice on Tuesday nights (like me). If we do this, I'll take my bike to work with me and hit the veloway after work for a ride. (The veloway is a place where only bikes and roller bladers are allowed - no runners or people on feet; you have to be on wheels). Then I'll head for the track workout and do my run. If this doesn't work out, I'll probably continue swimming and then do a bike ride when I get home from that. Thursday nights will be swimming and running. Friday nights will be a long bike ride (most of the time). Saturday mornings will be my long runs with Team in Training. If the weather is nice and I have the time, I may head out for another bike ride. Sundays will either be off days or long bike rides.

I know the weather won't always cooperate and there will be days I'll have to rearrange things due to my husband being out of town or the kids having an activity that pops up, but that is the general plan. We'll see how it goes.

With Memorial Day on Monday, I didn't exactly start this plan yet. The rain started Sunday evening and rained into Monday morning. It rained so much that one of the popular triathlons here was actually cancelled Monday morning. Since I didn't really want to get out, I rode the stationary bike for an hour and then got on the treadmill for a 4 mile run.

Today, I lifted weights at lunch. I went to yoga tonight and then ran 3 miles when I got home. One thing I do need to figure out is when and how much to eat. Since I never eat before yoga, I have to eat when I get home. But I didn't want to eat before running, so here it is after 9:00 and I'm eating a not so decent dinner. I'll have to figure this one out. But, I'll need to figure out eating for the triathlon anyway. I know how to eat for a marathon. I've done five of them and I know what works for me. Not so for a 1/2 ironman. I'll be out there longer than I am for a marathon and I'll need to eat some kind of fuel while I'm on the bike. I can take my cliff shots while I run, but I'll have to make sure I have enough energy to get through the bike and even start the run. It will be a learning process, that's for sure.

No comments: