Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Training Has Officially Started

But I haven't officially started training. Yikes!! We got the marathon training schedule through June at the kick-off last Thursday. The first official group training was the 19th. I guess since I missed the practice on the 19th, I kind of forgot that I have a schedule to follow now. Ooops.

And then on Monday, I figured I needed to look at the marathon schedule vs. the half ironman schedule and try to mesh the two. That's when it hit me that the half ironman schedule I printed out was a 20 week plan and - well - the 20th was 20 weeks away from October 7th.

The combined schedules look a little daunting at the moment. There will be times toward the end of summer when I have a long run and also need to do a 3 hour bike ride. Unless I want my family to disown me, I need to figure out how to get it all in without affecting too much family time. The good news is that I don't mind running late at night during the summer since it gets so hot. I can do a swim right after work and then wait until the kids are in bed before running. The other good news is that there won't be soccer (at least not consistently) during the summer. Sure, my son will still have practice, but there won't be games every Saturday, so I will be able to spend the time running and biking. I guess this weekend I need to figure out my plan of attack and get to it.

With this being the last week of school, things have been hectic. We've also had appointments and work related events, so it has been a tough week. I didn't get to swim today, but ran 5 miles instead. I won't be able to make it to the gym tomorrow but will try to get a run in possibly in the morning before heading to my daughter's 5th grade award ceremonies. We'll see. Somehow I see myself hitting the snooze button a couple of times.

Saturday I will head downtown for my first group run with this season's team in training group. There are over 50 people signed up, so it will be hard learning all the names at first, but more people means more fun. I'm ready. Now if I can just get my schedules to work out, I'll be set.

No comments: