Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

As usual for this time of year around here, the Memorial Day weekend has been, and is expected to continue to be, rainy. Yesterday it rained off and on most of the day. I was getting concerned that the rain might turn into thunderstorms and cancel today's group run with Team in Training. Since I missed last week, I was looking forward to today's run.

Luckily, when I woke up this morning, it was not raining. The ground was wet, so I know it rained over night, but it was ok for the moment. I took a hat with me just in case. I usually don't run in a hat, but if it is raining, I will.

We got lucky. Although it was humid, the rain held off and we were able to get in our group run. We ran a little over 4 miles today. For some, today was the furthest they have ever run. Most people did well. It seems to be a group who is already bonding. October should be fun!

When I got home, I decided to go ahead and get in a bike ride before taking a shower and running some errands. I changed into my cycling clothes, aired up my tires, and took off. There is a loop I do around the neighborhood. It's about 6 miles, so I was planning on doing it 3 or 4 times. I didn't want to get too far from home just in case the rain started. The first lap went great, but as I was heading out for the second lap, it started raining. It probably wasn't raining hard, but when you are on a bike, it feels worse than it actually is. Instead of risk getting caught, I headed home after having only done a little over 7 miles.

And I should have just kept going. When I got done with my shower the rain had stopped. And it hasn't rained since. Oh well. I ran some errands and got some things done that needed to get done. Hopefully the weather will cooperate the rest of the weekend, especially on Monday. Since I'm off Monday, it would be great to get in that long bike ride. We'll see.

No comments: