Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Finally - A Day That Went As Planned

So today my game plan was to swim after work and then do a bike ride when I got home. And that's just what I did. I swam 2,000 meters. And I'm pretty sure the cough is swim related, because it came back. I have no idea what causes it, but I'm thinking I might need to try ear plugs and see if that helps. When I start swimming and turn my head to breathe, I can feel the water going in my ear. It takes several laps before that feeling goes away.

It was around 90 degrees today, but when I got home from swimming I headed out for a bike ride. I rode the loop in my neighborhood twice. You never realize how hilly your neighborhood is until you run or ride your bike through it. Now, we don't have HUGE hills, but we have hills. One of them is the hill I use for hill repeats during marathon training. I rode up that hill 3 times. My speed today ranged from 6.8 mph to 26 mph. That should give you an idea of what the hills are like. One of these days I'm going to get up to 30 going down the big hill. I've gone faster than 30 on my bike before, but not much past that. I remember when I first started riding and I hit 18 - I thought that was fast. And in my first triathlon, I hit 22 mph and was scared to death. Now I TRY to go faster. Not sure I ever want to get to 40 or 50 mph like some folks, but I'll take 30.

I still need to work out nutrition. I don't think my lunch was big enough for my workout today. I was fine during the workout, but then I had problems. I don't do heat well either (which should be interesting training though the lovely hot summer here). So combine the small lunch with the heat, and I had a hard time standing up long enough to cook dinner. I'm one of those that need food right away after a marathon or long, tough workout. I managed to get the food in the oven and rested while it cooked. And then I replenished my body with protein (from pinto beans) and good fat (from avacadoes) in one of my favorite dishes - bean burrito pie. Yum! I'm feeling better now - if the cough will just go away for good.

No comments: